Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Surgery II

They couldn't get Abby in to surgery until about 8 pm last night. By the time we were back in the room and she was settled it was past midnight, so I didn't have the chance to update.

They went in and found that the dura was not only leaking in one small place, but in multiple places. They fixed that, washed out the wound, and sealed it all back up. The facia (sp?) is the layer that is the most important when it comes to sealing the wound and the doc thinks that he was able to do a better job this time around.

He also hooked up a drain to Abby's back so that the fluid doesn't put so much pressure on the dura allowing it to heal. It will have to drain for 3-5 days before it can come out. They also want her as still as possible for the next couple days to give the healing the best chance possible.

So, all in all, he feels the surgery was a success. You could tell he felt like he let us down when he told us that he needed to go back in. We are expecting to be here until at least Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks a million for all the prayers, thoughts, and encouraging words. Your support has made things a million times easier.

5 comments:

Aunt Susan said...

Eileen,
I am sure it will be challenging to keep miss active Abby as still as possible for the next two days. I will keep that, specifically, in my prayers. I know the doc wants to do the best possible job for you; he's dealing with so many issues that have the chance to go wrong. We've been praying for everyone who even comes close to Abby, whether it's a maintenance person or a neurosurgeon. God is holding all of you in His hands as you go through this. I hope there is some comfort in that, although I know how hollow the words must sound when you're the ones going through this amazing challenge. Blessings and rest to all of you.
Love,
Aunt Susan

Unknown said...

Eileen and Ken,
There is not much I can say that will make any difference, but if you can, just take one day, one hour at a time. I am sure that it is difficult for both of you and the more tired you are the more difficult it is to handle all that is happening. Try to take turns getting a little rest when possible. While you are taking care of Abby, remember to take care of each other and we will pray that God watches over all of you.
ej

Addie said...

Eileen,

I am thankful that it sounds like this surgery will fix the "root" of the problems at this point. I agree with Aunt Susan that it will be difficult to keep "active Abby" still:) We are continually praying for all of you. Find strength in Him and through all of the prayers surrounding you, and each other.

Love,

Addie

Unknown said...

Eileen and Ken, Lets see if I can get this right this time. I have been following your postings since Abby's problem was found and we have been praying for you all since then and will continue to do so. Just trust her care to the MD's and staff and in the meantime, take care of yourselves. You will be better able to care for her if you try to sleep and eat regularly. I know its hard, but you must try. Hope this gets to you, its the third one! Love, Aunt Shirl

pfloyd said...

Eileen,
Wish I could be there to give support to you, Ken, your mom and dad AND of course for Abby... keep the faith "Bunkie" - it WILL all work out ... YOU need to eat, sleep, stay healthy so YOU can be strong for Abby - she knows when you are upset - she KNOWS when you are anxious ... Eileen, you need to keep her spirits high by making sure you are "together" ... I know that is easier said than done but when "we" decide to have children the contract doesn't say your life will be on "glide" from birth through their 18th birthday LOTS of bumps along the way - just seems Abby is trying to get ALL of those bumps taken care of early in her life ... hang in there "bunkie" - Abby will get better, your lives will get back to "normal" - whatever that is (I still don't know what normal is - LOL) ... trust that all of this will make all of you stronger ... will make Abby ready to handle life's ups and downs as she grows into a young lady ... all of you are on my mind ...

Uncle Mike