Monday, June 15, 2009

PICC line

Well, here is the latest....
The culture of spinal fluid grew bacteria, as I mentioned before. The infectious disease doctors are growing the culture in some antibiotics to figure out which work best. This will most likely be a long term course of antibiotics that will require a PICC line. Since Abby had already had food withheld most of the day, they decided to just go ahead and do it today. At 3 pm she'll be sedated and the line can stay in for up to six weeks. After we leave here, home health can come to the house and administer the antibiotics.

The nurse practitioner for Dr. Jane is supposed to be by shortly to check the spinal fluid leak. It hasn't leaked since this morning, so she is really hoping that the derma bond finally got a good seal and that all is well there. If it is leaking, we will have to try and get a stitch or two to close it up. If they cannot find the exact spot, then they would have to go in and flush out the incision and stitch it back up. Dr. Jane Jr is out of town right now, so it would have to be Dr. Jane Sr. to do the surgery. They are thinking that won't happen today though.

I think that's it for now....If I remember more, I'll post it. If I find out more I'll post that too.

3 comments:

Addie said...

Eileen,

Thank you for keeoping us so up to date. We are praying for you around the clock. I have faith in my heart that Abby will be okay. I hope that you all are being given the strength through Him to get through this as easily as possible. Let me know if you need anything at all.

Love & Prayers,

Addie

Aunt Susan said...

Eileen, you are teaching us so much. Thank you for keeping us updated. I want and wait to hear that all is well, and I know that will be forthcoming.
Aunt susan

The Young Family said...

I'm just catching up on Abby's post-op course. I am so sorry to hear it hasn't been going as smoothly as we'd all hoped. Abby seems like an amazingly resilient little girl though, and she is lucky to have such a dedicated mom. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.