Dr. Jane will not be in today since the drill is the same as the past few days....keep her still and make her eat....so today I thought I'd do some reflecting on all that Abby has endured in the past few months.
Abby has been sedated for 3 MRI's, 1 PICC line, and 2 surgeries. Before it is all said and done, she will be sedated two more times. Monday morning to have the spinal drain removed (hopefully) and to have her stitches taken out on July 1st. Poor kid will have been sedated more in six months than Ken and I have combined in our whole lives.
I cannot possibly explain to you how strong and brave Abby has been through all of this. Throughout the entire process the only time you definitely KNEW she was in pain was when the spasms started happening last Saturday evening. Other than that it has been hard to know the difference between "could someone please get me out of this bed?" and "Ouch, I really hurt".
Abby has been lying in bed for a week straight now. I never thought that I would be able to contain an almost 18 month old for bed in a week. The past two days have been a little more difficult in this regard, but in a way, that tells us she is finally feeling better. I cannot tell you what it was like last Sunday to look at her and see her not wanting to play or talk or anything like that.
The doctors and nurses here at UVa medical center have been outstanding. Abby has been really taken care of. I cannot say enough about Dr. Jane and his nurse practitioner Sara(h) Roberts. These two take the time to talk to us like real people, address our fears and concerns, and even show us their funny side to let us know there is more to them than just being doctors.
Again, I must mention how so many people have reached out to us in ways that we never thought possible. Family has traveled countless hours between home and C'ville. People have sent us Edible Arrangements, balloons, food, magazines, money, toys for Abby, coloring books, and goodie bags galore! Please know that we appreciate every.little.thing. We would not be as strong as we have been without the love and support of family and friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Eileen,
When I read your reflections to Uncle Michael we both teared up at the depth of responses all of this has elicited from you. Uncle Michael believes that Abby must truly understand part of what is going on, not a lot, but more than we may know.
I know that you and Ken have endured more than many parents are asked to do in a lifetime, and yet I know you're going to grow from all of this in ways you never thought possible.
I am so proud of you for taking time to put your reflections into words. It's good for the soul, and I know you'll receive even more strength from it. I have always known that you are a strong young woman, but I am in awe of just how strong you really are. And your partner by your side is equally as strong. What a family. Blessings.
Aunt Susan
I am in agreement with Aunt Susan. I believe Abby can sense the seriousness of the situation. She is remarkable....comes from remarkable parents. We will continue to hold your family up to the Lord in prayer.
Love & Prayers
Aunt Vicki
Post a Comment